Policy Uncorked - December 6, 2022
Policy Uncorked from Silverado Policy Accelerator provides an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- CYBER: Silverado Chief of Staff Marc Raimondi moderated a panel with participants from industry and government on international cyber-crime and ransomware at the 2022 French-American Foundation Cyber Security conference in Washington, DC. The theme of the event was "The Future of Democracy in the Digital Age: A Transatlantic Discussion on Evolving Geopolitics and Cyber Security.”
- ECO²SEC: A recording of “Can Europe avoid trade wars over climate policy? The case of CBAM,” featuring Silverado Senior Climate Policy Advisor Lauren Stowe, is now available through the Clingendael Institute in the Netherlands.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado is accepting applications for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship, an all-expenses-paid opportunity for graduate students to gain real-world experience working in policy areas related to Silverado’s mission. Apply now.
- INTERNSHIPS: Silverado is now accepting applications for its Spring 2023 Internships. Find more information on the Research & Policy Internship and the Law Clerkship here.
Upcoming Silverado Events/Engagements:
- Silverado’s Executive Director Sarah Stewart is participating in a panel discussion about the consequences of merging climate and trade policy for nuclear energy, hosted by the Atlantic Council. (Tuesday, November 6 at 7:00 pm ET)
- On Wednesday, Silverado is hosting a group of students from the University of Denver’s Korbel School of International Studies at its D.C. office to discuss careers in international affairs and public policy.
- On Tuesday, December 13 from 8:30 am - 12:00 pm ET, Silverado is co-hosting an event with Principal to Principle’s Supply Chain Task Force about strategies for securing critical mineral supply chains in the Western Hemisphere. Due to in-person space limitations, viewers can tune in live via Silverado’s YouTube page.
Spotlight on the Strategic Council:
- On a new episode of “Geopolitics Decanted,” Silverado’s Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch sat down with Russia expert and Silverado Strategic Council Member Mark Galeotti about why we shouldn’t count on negotiations to end the war in Ukraine anytime soon.
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
Department of Commerce:
- Department of Commerce Issues Preliminary Determination of Circumvention Inquiries of Solar Cells and Modules Produced in China
United States Trade Representative:
- United States and Peru Hold Meetings of the Environmental Affairs Council and the Sub-Committee on Forest Sector Governance under the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement
Department of the Treasury:
- FACT SHEET: Limiting Kremlin Revenues and Stabilizing Global Energy Supply with a Price Cap on Russian Oil
Department of Homeland Security
- Cyber Safety Review Board to Conduct Second Review on Lapsus$
U.S. International Trade Commission:
- USITC Makes Determinations in Five-Year (Sunset) Reviews Concerning Certain Welded Stainless Steel Pipe from South Korea and Taiwan.
KEY CONGRESSIONAL ACTIONS
House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
- Hearing on Key Accomplishments, Additional Opportunities, And Need For Continued Action (December 6, 2022 at 1:15 pm ET)
- Opportunities and Challenges for Trade Policy in the Digital Economy (November 30, 3:00 p.m.)