Policy Uncorked - November 1, 2022
Policy Uncorked is a new initiative by Silverado Policy Accelerator to provide an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado Policy Accelerator is accepting applications for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship. The fellowship provides an all-expenses paid opportunity for graduate students pursuing careers in public policy to gain real-world experience working in D.C. The fellowship is for graduate students who otherwise would not have the financial means to spend a summer in Washington.
- ECO²SEC: Silverado sponsored a webinar with the Washington International Trade Association (WITA) about legislation in the U.S. to incentivize the purchase and manufacture of electric vehicles.
- GEOPOLITICS: On a new episode of "Geopolitics Decanted," Silverado's Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch sat down with Michael Kofman to discuss the fight in Kherson and Luhansk, the impact of Russian terror strikes on civilian infrastructure, and how the war might end.
Upcoming Silverado Events/Engagements:
- ECO²SEC: Silverado is sponsoring another WITA webinar on Wednesday, November 9 about green industrial policy and trade. The discussion will be moderated by Silverado’s Co-Founder and Executive Chair Maureen Hinman. Register now.
Strategic Council Happenings:
- Jamil Jaffer appeared on a new episode of the National Security Institute’s “Fault Lines” podcast to discuss the upcoming COP 27.
- Scott Paul was a guest on the America’s Work Force podcast to explain how U.S. technology helped China's government build a hypersonic missile program.
- Jennifer Hillman spoke with Marketplace about a potential slowdown in global trade.
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
The White House
- Remarks by President Biden on Micron’s Plan to Invest in Chips Manufacturing
- Readout of Cybersecurity Executive Forum on Electric Vehicles and Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Hosted by the Office of the National Cyber Director
Department of Commerce
- BIS Updated Public Information Page on Export Controls Imposed on Advanced Computing and Semiconductor Manufacturing Items to the People’s Republic of China
Office of the United States Trade Representative
- Statement from Ambassador Katherine Tai on the 2023 APEC Trade Ministers Site Announcement
Department of Defense
- Department of Defense Releases its 2022 Strategic Reviews - National Defense Strategy, Nuclear Posture Review, and Missile Defense Review
Department of Homeland Security
- DHS Announces New Cybersecurity Performance Goals for Critical Infrastructure
Department of Energy
- DOE Announces $39 Million for Technology to Grow the Domestic Critical Minerals Supply Chain and Strengthen National Security
Department of State