Policy Uncorked - November 29, 2022
Policy Uncorked from Silverado Policy Accelerator provides an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- GEOPOLITICS: Silverado’s Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch appeared on “Fox News Sunday” to discuss the growing nuclear threats from North Korea, Russia's possible use of a warhead in Ukraine, and growing protests in China and Iran.
- ECO²SEC: Senior Climate Advisor Lauren Stowe participated in “Can Europe avoid trade wars over climate policy? The case of CBAM,” an online debate organized by the Clingendael Institute in the Netherlands.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado is accepting applications for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship, an all-expenses-paid opportunity for graduate students to gain real-world experience working in policy areas related to Silverado’s mission. Apply now.
- INTERNSHIPS: Silverado is now accepting applications for its Spring 2023 Internships. Find more information on the Research & Policy Internship and the Law Clerkship here.
Upcoming Silverado Events/Engagements:
- Silverado Chief of Staff Marc Raimondi is moderating a panel with participants from industry and government on international cyber-crime and ransomware at the 2022 French-American Foundation Cyber Security conference in Washington, DC. The theme of the event is "The Future of Democracy in the Digital Age: A Transatlantic Discussion on Evolving Geopolitics and Cyber Security.”
Spotlight on the Strategic Council:
- Silverado Strategic Council Members Robert Atkinson and Wendy Cutler joined Sen. Mark Warner on a panel hosted by ITIF to discuss how updating a century-old trade law could limit China’s ability to profit from unfair trade practices. Watch the discussion here.
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
Department of the Treasury:
- READOUT: Deputy Secretary Adeyemo Discusses Unlocking Investment Opportunities of the Inflation Reduction Act
Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency:
- CISA Updates the Infrastructure Resilience Planning Framework
Department of Energy:
- Biden-Harris Administration Announces $550 Million in Clean Energy Funding to Benefit and Lower Costs for More than 250 Million Americans
Department of State:
- MEDIA NOTE: First Session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee on Plastic Pollution
U.S. International Trade Commission:
- USITC Institutes Section 337 Investigation of Certain Semiconductor Devices Having Layered Dummy Fill, Electronic Devices, and Components Thereof
KEY CONGRESSIONAL ACTIONS
Senate Committee on Finance:
- Opportunities and Challenges for Trade Policy in the Digital Economy (November 30, 3:00 p.m.)