Policy Uncorked - October 25, 2022
10/25/2022 | Silverado Policy Accelerator
Policy Uncorked is a new initiative by Silverado Policy Accelerator to provide an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado Policy Accelerator is accepting application for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship. The fellowship provides an all-expenses paid opportunity for graduate students pursuing careers in public policy to gain real-world experience working in D.C. The fellowship is for graduate students who otherwise would not have the financial means to spend a summer in Washington.
- ECO²SEC: Silverado’s Co-Founder and Executive Chair Maureen Hinman moderated a panel discussion about practical solutions to facilitate Circular Economy as part of the WTO’s Trade and Environment week in Geneva. Deputy United States Trade Representative and Chief of Mission (Geneva) María Pagán delivered keynote remarks.
- ECO²SEC: Also at the WTO’s Trade and Environment week, Silverado co-hosted an event with WTO’s Deputy Director General Jean-Marie Paugam to celebrate the future of trade and sustainability at the WTO. The event also recognized new climate-inspired artwork by artists Iris Leroyer, Susan Israel, SAYPE, Aik Hoe Lim and Sarah Glenville.
- CYBER: Silverado’s Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch was a guest on Washington Post Live alongside Rep. Jim Langevin to assess the impact of ransomware attacks on the national economy and discuss how businesses can navigate the threat landscape.
- GEOPOLITICS: Dmitri also appeared on CNN Newsroom with Bianna Golodryga to discuss the war in Ukraine.
- ECO²SEC: Silverado’s Co-Founder and Executive Chair Maureen Hinman participated in a panel discussion hosted by Georgetown Law’s Center on Inclusive Trade and Development about the nexus of trade policy and environmental policy.
Upcoming Silverado Events/Engagements:
- Silverado and the Washington International Trade Association (WITA) are co-hosting a webinar on Thursday, October 27, 2022 from 11:00-12:00 am ET to discuss recently passed U.S. legislation to incentivize the purchase and manufacture of electric vehicles. Register now.
Strategic Council Happenings:
- Eliot Cohen published an article in The Atlantic: “The Words About Ukraine That Americans Need to Hear.”
- Experts from the National Security Institute weighed in on the 2022 National Security Strategy.
- Wendy Cutler spoke with Bloomberg about rising trade tensions between the U.S. and China.
- Sarah Marie Jordaan co-authored a new paper in Nature on global mitigation opportunities for the life -cycle of natural gas-fired power
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
The White House
- Fact Sheet: Biden-Harris Administration Rallies States, Cities, and Companies to Boost Clean American Manufacturing
- Fact Sheet: Biden-Harris Administration Driving U.S. Battery Manufacturing and Good-Paying Jobs
- Readout of the October National Climate Task Force Meeting
Department of Commerce
- Joint Readout on Cooperation between the U.S. Department of Commerce and Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada
Department of Treasury
- Remarks by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on Innovation in Virginia
- Treasury Releases CFIUS Enforcement and Penalty Guidelines
Department of Energy
- Biden-Harris Administration Awards $2.8 Billion to Supercharge U.S. Manufacturing of Batteries for Electric Vehicles and Electric Grid
Department of State
- Joint Statement on Ukraine
- The Impact of Sanctions and Export Controls on the Russian Federation
- Imposing Sanctions on Russia’s Technology Procurement