Policy Uncorked - November 14, 2022
Policy Uncorked from Silverado Policy Accelerator provides an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- ECO²SEC: Silverado’s Executive Chair Maureen Hinman hosted a webinar with the Washington International Trade Association (WITA) about “Green Industrial Policy and Trade.” The event was part of WITA’s Trade and Environment Series, sponsored by Silverado.
- GEOPOLITICS: “Geopolitics Decanted,” hosted by Silverado’s Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch, released two new episodes: “How Putin’s Reign Could End,” featuring the University of California’s Daniel Treisman, and “Keys Lessons for Taiwan from the War in Ukraine,” featuring ISS’s Franz-Stefan Gady.
- ECO²SEC: In a new blog, Silverado’s Senior Climate Policy Advisor Lauren Stowe explores governments’ inherent role in designing a transparent, fair, and durable system of measuring embedded emissions for purposes of trade.
- ECO²SEC: The Inflation Reduction Act can serve as a case study for the relative merits of government mandates versus incentives for promoting recycling, argues Silverado’s Deputy Executive Director Adina Renee Adler in a new blog.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado is still accepting applications for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship, an all-expenses-paid opportunity for graduate students to gain real-world experience working in policy areas related to Silverado’s mission. Apply now.
Strategic Council Happenings:
- ITIF’s Robert Atkinson shared his perspective on the “economic war” between the U.S. and China with Forbes.
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
The White House:
- Readout of President Joe Biden’s Meeting with President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China
- Remarks by President Biden at the Annual U.S.-ASEAN Summit
- ASEAN-U.S. Leaders’ Statement on the Establishment of the ASEAN-U.S. Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
- FACT SHEET: President Biden and ASEAN Leaders Launch the U.S.-ASEAN Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
- Remarks by President Biden at the 27th Conference of the Parties to the Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP27) | Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt
- FACT SHEET: President Biden Announces New Initiatives at COP27 to Strengthen U.S. Leadership in Tackling Climate Change
- FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Proposes Plan to Protect Federal Supply Chain from Climate-Related Risks
Office of the United States Trade Representative:
- United States and Taiwan Conclude Two Days of Productive Meetings Under the U.S.-Taiwan Initiative on 21st-Century Trade
- Statement on December IPEF Negotiating Round in Australia
Department of Defense:
- Department of Defense Announces $400 Million in Additional Assistance for Ukraine
Department of the Treasury:
- Assistant Secretary Alexia Latortue and Climate Counselor John Morton Lead Treasury Delegation at COP27
Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA):
- United States and Spain Announce the Development of a New Capacity Building Tool to Combat Ransomware
Department of State:
- Press Statement: Demonstrating the U.S. Commitment to Climate Action at COP27
- Media Note: Joint Declaration from Energy Importers and Exporters on Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fossil Fuels
United States International Trade Commission
- USITC Institutes Section 337 Investigation of Certain Electronic Devices, Semiconductor Devices, and Components Thereof
KEY CONGRESSIONAL ACTIONS
House Committee on Homeland Security:
- Upcoming Hearing: Worldwide Threats to the Homeland (Nov. 15, 9:30 am ET)
Senate Committee on Homeland Security
- Upcoming Hearing: Threats to the Homeland (Nov. 17, 10:15 am ET)
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Upcoming Hearing: Russia’s Waning Global Influence (Nov. 16, 10:00 am ET)