Policy Uncorked - November 22, 2022
Policy Uncorked from Silverado Policy Accelerator provides an overview of the current week in policy news that cuts across our core pillars of cybersecurity, trade and industrial security, geopolitics, and Eco²Sec, or the intersection of ecological and economic security. Below is a list of the recent and near-term items from Washington and the greater policy ecosystem that are informing Silverado’s work. You will also find a round-up of the latest news and upcoming events from Silverado’s team.
- GEOPOLITICS: On a new episode of “Geopolitics Decanted,” Silverado’s Executive Chairman Dmitri Alperovitch speaks with Jack Walting and Justin Bronk of the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies about the failures of the Russian air force in Ukraine.
- FELLOWSHIP: Silverado is accepting applications for the inaugural Catherine Hinman Memorial Fellowship, an all-expenses-paid opportunity for graduate students to gain real-world experience working in policy areas related to Silverado’s mission. Apply now.
- INTERNSHIPS: Silverado is now accepting applications for its Spring 2023 Internships. Find more information on the Research & Policy Internship and the Law Clerkship here.
Upcoming Silverado Events/Engagements:
- ECO2SEC: Silverado’s Senior Climate Advisor Lauren Stowe will participate in an online debate, “Can Europe avoid trade wars over climate policy? The case of CBAM,” organized by the Clingendael Institute in the Netherlands. The event will take place on November 28th, from 8:00 am - 9:30 am ET. Register here.
Spotlight on the Strategic Council:
- Last week, the Asia Society Policy Institute hosted a panel to discuss the recent meeting between Presidents Joe Biden and Xi Jinping. The discussion featured ASPI’s Vice President and Silverado Strategic Council Member Wendy Cutler. Watch the discussion here.
Here’s what’s catching our eye this week:
KEY ADMINISTRATION ACTIONS
The White House:
- Remarks by Vice President Harris During Roundtable Discussion With Environmental and Clean Energy Leaders
- FACT SHEET: Vice President Harris Announces New U.S. Support for Clean Energy in the Mekong Region
- Statement by Vice President Kamala Harris on Selection of San Francisco as Host City for 2023 APEC Leaders Meeting
- Remarks by Vice President Harris at the APEC CEO Summit
- FACT SHEET: The Biden-Harris Administration Advances Transmission Buildout to Deliver Affordable, Clean Electricity
- FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Accomplishes Cybersecurity Apprenticeship Sprint
Office of the United States Trade Representative:
- Readout of Ambassador Katherine Tai's Meeting with Minister of Commerce for the People's Republic of China Wang Wentao
- Statement from Ambassador Katherine Tai Following the Release of the USITC Report on the Distributional Effects of Trade and Trade Policy
Department of Energy:
- Biden-Harris Administration Announces $13 Billion To Modernize And Expand America's Power Grid
- Biden-Harris Administration Announces Nearly $74 Million To Advance Domestic Battery Recycling And Reuse, Strengthen Nation’s Battery Supply Chain
- U.S. Secretary of Energy Advances America’s Commitment to Reaching Net Zero Global Emissions and Combating Climate Change at COP27
Department of State:
- MEDIA NOTE: 19th Meeting of the Conference of Parties to CITES (COP19)
- FACT SHEET: U.S. APEC 2022 Outcomes
- FACT SHEET: Appointment of Chris Dodd as Special Presidential Advisor for the Americas
U.S. International Trade Commission:
- USITC Releases Report Cataloging the Distributional Effects of Trade and Trade Policy on Underrepresented and Underserved Communities